Membership Satisfaction Guide: Step 2 – Resistance
When addressing issues by making changes to your club, you are likely to encounter resistance. To minimize it, use the Why-What-When-How process to implement changes:
- Why – Clearly explain the reasons for the proposed changes
- What – Explain what your members can expect to see happen.
- When – Have a definite starting point for the changes.
- How – Outline what you expect the result of the changes to be.
Once the process has begun:
- Encourage your members to give feedback on the changes – and respond to it.
- Consider tweaking new programs if they do not provide the expected results, based on a realistic timeline
Make sure your club leaders set a good example by accepting and embracing the changes. Make sure everyone is on the same page and build team spirit – you are all heading to the same place!